Parents Forever™: Education for Families in Transition Curriculum
University of Minnesota Extension has been offering Parents Forever™ for over 20 years. Parents Forever™ courses and resources help parents and caregivers of children who have experiencing a family transition like divorce, separation, or parenting apart. It is informed by research, Minnesota state statutes, and the experiences and feedback of facilitators and participants of the program.
There are a number of steps you must complete in order to purchase access to this curriculum. See Get Trained to Teach Parents Forever™.
The Parents Forever™: Education for Families in Transition Curriculum provides all of the information and resources needed to facilitator a Parents Forever™ course. By using this curriculum to facilitate a Parents Forever™ course, you will help parents and caregivers of children:
- Describe the family transition journey and how each family member will be affected.
- Recognize the role of self-care, parent-child relationships, and coparenting in child well-being.
- Identify internal and external resources and strategize how to leverage these resources to promote resilience for all involved.
This curriculum was developed October 2014 by the following Extension Center for Family Development staff members:
- Ellie M. McCann, Extension Educator — Family Resiliency
- Heather M. Lee, Project Manager
- Sharon E. Powell, Extension Educator — Family Resource Management
- Alisha M. Hardman, Research Assistant — Family Resiliency
- Emily H. Becher, Research Fellow — Parents Forever™
- Kjersti Olson, Extension Educator — Family Resiliency
Available in Electronic Format Only
All curricular resources are available as downloads from the members-only Parents Forever™ Facilitator Website. The “Curriculum” tab of this website contains these curricular resources:
- Parents Forever™ Facilitator Guide
- Parents Forever™ Presentation — full and abridged versions
- Links to preview and purchase the Parents Forever™ Parent Handbook
- Links to download all six Parents Forever™ videos, including the new Four Parenting Styles video (2:50)
- Link to download the Ages and Stages Game
- Print-friendly versions of all participant handouts
- Covers to create your own facilitator and presentation binders
For more information about what topics are covered by the curriculum, see Get to Know the Curriculum (PDF).
The Parents Forever™ Facilitator Website is more than just a curriculum-hosting website — it is the gateway for all Parents Forever™ facilitator information and resources. In addition to the curriculum, you can also use the website to:
- Download resources for starting, maintaining, and strengthening your Parents Forever™ program.
- Access live and pre-recorded professional development webinars, available for free to facilitators who have completed the “authorized provider” process (see below).
- Connect with other Parents Forever™ facilitators through tools and planned events.
Purchasing Curriculum Access
As mentioned above, the curriculum is only available through the Parents Forever™ Facilitator Website. Organizations or independent facilitators can purchase access to this website for $299. This fee covers access to two facilitators from the same organization. Additional access can be purchased for $20/person. These fees are a one-time cost — as long as facilitators remain an “authorized provider” with the program, they will continue to receive access. Website access can be transferred to other “authorized providers” within an organization upon approval by the Parents Forever™ administrative office.
Please note, all facilitators who teach one hour or more of a Parents Forever™ need to purchase access to the Parents Forever™ Facilitator Website. There a number of training pre-requisites that need to be completed in order for a facilitator to be granted “authorized provider” status and to be able to purchase access to the facilitator website and related curricular resources. See Get trained to teach Parents Forever™ for information on those pre-requisites.
If you have additional questions about how this process works, we strongly encourage you to attend the free Parents Forever™ introductory webinar. It reviews the 2014 curriculum revision, changes that have occurred in the Parents Forever™ program, and more. If you have more specific questions, please Contact us.
Get to Know the Curriculum (PDF) — Explore the overall structure of the curriculum as well as what participants will learn after attending a Parents Forever™ course.
Why it's the right choice for families — Explore reasons why Parents Forever™ is the right choice for your family and the families you serve.
Get trained to teach Parents Forever™ — Find out what is needed to start a program in your community.
Parents Forever™ Parent Handbook — Comprehensive handbook that is the content-basis for the Parents Forever™ course helps parents and caregivers of children improve their self-care, parent-child relationships, and coparenting relationships.