For many, tax time can be a time of confusion and difficult decisions. There are lots of tax credits available but if you are not able to connect with a qualified tax preparation professional, you may not know about them. If your fortunate enough to get a tax refund, it can be difficult making decision about how to spend that refund.
The following resources will help you find free tax preparation sites and get guidance on making tax refund decisions that are right for you and your family.
Dollar Works 2 Worksheets
Spending Plan — Short Form — Dollar Works 2 Action Page 3-4 — Budgeting can help a bad situation from getting worse. Use this form to track your income and expenses.
Federal Poverty Guidelines (2016) — Dollar Works 2 Action Page 3-6 — This easy-to-use chart helps you see if you qualify for any federal or state assistance programs based on your income level and household size. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
Top 5 Tax Tips
- Use Free Tax Preparation if you can!
Use the MN Department of Revenue website to locate the free tax preparation site nearest to you. For savvy filers, you can file yourself for free using United Ways’ My Free Taxes Website
- Maximize the money moment! Make sure to save a portion of your refund. You can use IRS Form 8888 to split your refund into more than one account. It’s quick and easy!
- Access free legal help for complicated tax issues. There is assistance available for low to middle income taxpayers with audit, back tax debt, or other legal issues related to taxes.
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid Tax Law Project, Intake Line: (612) 334-5970
- University of Minnesota Tax Law Clinic, Intake Line: (612) 625-5515
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, Intake Line: (612) 752-6677
Dollar Works 2 — Teach others how to manage their personal finances and make sound decision about money. This comprehensive curriculum has a unit on Understanding a Pay Statement and Taxes.
Taxes 101 Trainings — Training that helps professionals who work with low to moderate-income clients make the most of tax time.
Tax Topic Index — United States Department of Internal Revenue Service — Answers to common questions; includes individual and business tax information.