Vegetable fried rice
Fry up a batch of this easy-to-make fried rice in a jiffy. It's a great way to use up leftover rice.
Number of Servings: 4
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Non-stick cooking spray
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups brown rice, cooked
2 cups frozen vegetables
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
Optional: Ground black pepper
Time needed: 10 minutes preparation; 10 minutes cook time
- Spray a deep 12" skillet with cooking spray, or coat with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil and place over medium heat.
- Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the skillet and stir occasionally until completely cooked (2 to 3 minutes). Remove the eggs to a plate and set aside. Clean any residue from skillet.
- Return the skillet to the burner and add the oil. Heat to medium high and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables and heat 1-2 minutes. Stir in the rice and soy sauce. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggs and heat through. Sprinkle with pepper, if desired, before serving.
|Total Fat:||9 g|
|Saturated Fat:||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||53 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||7 g|
|Total Sugar:||4 g|
Allergens: Egg, soy (check cooking spray label ingredients)
Tips and variations
To cook the brown rice, follow the package directions or see Wild or brown rice.
Leftover rice works well in this recipe.
If you don't have low-sodium soy sauce, use 1 1/2 teaspoons regular soy sauce plus 1 1/2 teaspoons water.
If desired, add 1 cup cooked meat, fish, or chicken.
This meal is a great way to start having meatless meals at least once a week.
This was adapted from Iowa State University Extension and Outreach’s Vegetable fried rice (no date; Spend Smart. Eat smart; retrieved from https://spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu/recipe/vegetable-fried-rice/).
Ramen noodle skillet — Use packaged ramen noodles and stir fry vegetables to create this tasty dish. It can easily be doubled for a crowd.
Chicken wild rice hotdish — Let your kids experience the taste of real wild rice. This one-dish meal will quickly become a family favorite.