Crispy baked chicken
Prepare this crispy chicken for your next family meal. It's a healthy alternative to fried chicken.
Number of servings: 8
Serving size: 1/8 of prepared recipe
4 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
1 1/2 cups crushed corn flake cereal or bread crumbs
1 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Nonstick cooking spray
Time needed: 20 minutes preparation; 45 minutes cook time
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning with bread crumbs or crushed cereal. Place milk in separate bowl. Dip chicken in milk and then in bread crumbs or crushed cereal. Throw away any leftover bread crumbs or cereal.
- Spray cooking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and place chicken pieces on them.
- Bake about 45 minutes, turning pieces when it browns. Make sure chicken is at 165 degrees for safe eating.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
|Total Fat:||6.8 g|
|Saturated Fat:||1.9 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||7.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||0.3 g|
|Total Sugar:||1.8 g|
Allergens: Dairy, wheat, soy (check cooking spray label ingredients)
Tips and variations
Make your own bread crumbs with day old bread. Tear bread into pieces and place on cooking sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let them cool and crush into smaller pieces.
This is a great recipe to involve children in the kitchen. They can help crush cereal in a plastic zipper-style bag or bowl, measure and mix ingredients, and dip and coat the chicken.
Be sure to wash your hands after handling raw meat.
Instead of this mix with corn flakes or bread crumbs, you can also try this recipe with Coating Mix for Chicken or Fish.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Baked pork chops — Serve this tasty main entree at your next family meal. It makes any day feel like a special occasion!
Marinated three bean salad — Get your kids involved in the kitchen with this easy salad. Swap in whatever beans and peppers you have on hand.
Spiced peach sauce — Turn canned peaches into a tasty treat. This makes a great topping for yogurt, oatmeal, French toast, and more.