Brown rice with sizzling chicken and vegetables
Cook yourself up a batch of this easy chicken and vegetable stir fry. It's a great way to use vegetables you have on hand or what is in season.
Number of servings: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of prepared recipe
3 cups hot cooked brown rice
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
16 ounces boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small white onion, cut into small wedges (about 1/8 inch thick)
3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup total)
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1 medium red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
Time needed: 20 minutes preparation; 30 minutes cook time
- Mix soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add minced garlic; sauté about 1 minutes until garlic is golden.
- Add chicken; cook about 5-6 minutes, then push chicken to the side.
- Add onions to center of skillet; cook until slightly tender and push to the side.
- Continue with carrots, broccoli, and peppers separately, placing each in center of pan, cooking until slightly tender and pushing to the side.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into center of skillet. Leaving other ingredients and at the sides of the pan, stir sauce until it thickens.
- Mix in with vegetables and chicken. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
|Total Fat:||10 g|
|Saturated Fat:||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||49 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||6 g|
Tips and variations
To round out the meal, serve with an 8-ounce glass of non-fat or low-fat milk.
Keeping the total amount of vegetables the same, try other vegetables such as: celery, cauliflower, green peppers, kohlrabi, cabbage, or bok choy.
For a sweet addition, add pineapple chunks.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Brown Rice with Sizzling Chicken and Vegetables (no date; What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Knife Cutting Techniques (PDF) — Learn how to use a knife efficiently and safely.
Cream soup mix — Mix up a batch of this soup mix to keep on hand. It will help you make homemade soups, sauces, and meals in less time.