Nutrition Building Blocks for Great Trays®
Are you a trainer who is looking for a comprehensive curriculum to teach to school foodservice staff, helping them meet the basic nutrition requirements for SNA Level 1 certification or continuing education units in the process?
If so, than Nutrition Building Blocks for Great Trays® is for you!
About the Course
By completing the Nutrition Building Blocks for Great Trays® course, participants will learn about:
- Health benefits resulting from meeting the dietary guidelines for fruits and vegetables.
- Strategies to make fruits and vegetables appealing to students.
- Health benefits of whole grain foods and how to identify using product package labeling and description.
- Sodium in foods and how simple scratch cooking can reduce sodium in school meals.
- Health benefits of consuming fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products.
- Calorie balance.
- What role fat plays in the body and what foods have which types of fat.
- Key elements of marketing through listening and sharing.
- Aspects of the serving line that promotes healthy food choices.
- Roles school nutrition staff play in the success of the school meal program.
- Tools to help support your healthy menu.
- Current U.S. Department of Agriculture school foodservice guidelines.
You can register to access the complete curriculum to teach this course to others in an in-person classroom setting.
How do I get started?
To access a comprehensive curriculum to teach school foodservice staff, helping them meet the basic nutrition requirements for SNA Level 1 certification or continuing education units in the process, see Nutrition Building Blocks for Great Trays® — Trainer’s Manual.
Note: The Nutrition Building Blocks for Great Trays® online courses are in the process of being revised. Information about these courses will get added to this site when they are available.
Great Trays® Toolkit for School Foodservice — Tools to plan kid-tested menus, save money on food purchasing, and “nudge” students toward healthier choices.
Workshops for School Foodservice Professionals — Bring one of these workshops on increasing participation in school breakfast, creating Smarter Lunchrooms, serving fruits and vegetables, and lowering sodium to your school district.