Resources to help parents meet the challenge of raising teens.
On this page
All PDF files are under 1 MB unless otherwise indicated.
Resources for anyone working with or interested in adolescent development.
Information on bullying, school violence, and more.
- School Violence
- School: Making the Most of It — English (website) | español
- Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences (website) — English | español
- What if the next shooting is at my school? — English (website) | español
- Winning Isn't Everything — English (website) | español
- I Need to Get a Job (website) — English | español
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drugs
Advice on teen parties, talking with your teen about substance use, and dealing with the "everybody's doing it" attitude.
- There's a Party! Can I Go? — English (website) | español
- But You and Dad Drink... — English (website) | español
- It's Just One Cigarette — English (website) | español
- Relax Mom, It's Only Pot! — English (website) | español
- Teens and Meth — English
- But Everybody's Doin' It... — English (website) | español
The "how to" of effective communication in different situations.
- Have You Talked with Your Teen Today? — English (website) | español
- Teens and Family Meals — English
Relationships: Peers and Dating
Tips for talking with your teen about sexuality and dating.
- Teens and Their Peers — English
- But We're in Love: Talking to Teens About Sex — English (website) | español
- I've Met Someone Special — English | español
Strategies to help parents monitor what their teen does on the Internet.
Parents of College Students
Seminar for Parents: Alcohol Use on Campus — Department of Family Social Science — Find the information and tools you need to support and empower your student to make a successful transition to college, take on increasing responsibilities, and gain the most from their college years.
Seminar for Parents: College Finance — Department of Family Social Science — Get a realistic picture of the issues and challenges college students and their families face around finances.
- Helping Youth Succeed: Bicultural Parenting for Southeast Asian Families (website) — Online resources to help parents, teens, and educators understand and address issues related to different Southeast Asian perspectives on parenting.
See additional parent resources
Common Stresses for Parents of Teens — Iowa State University Extension — Find ways to manage new conflicts and stressors that develop as the parent-child relationship changes during the teen years. Part of the Stress: Taking Charge series.
Families: School Success — Get resources that will help you support your children's learning, make school transitions positive, and build stronger parent-child relationships.