Resources to help parents meet the challenge of raising teens.
On this page
Resources for anyone working with or interested in adolescent development.
Information on bullying, school violence, and more.
- School violence
- School: Making the most of it — English | español (PDF)
- Bullying: A big problem with big consequences — English | español
- What if the next shooting is at my school? — English | español (PDF)
- Winning isn't everything — English | español (PDF)
- I need to get a job — English | español
Alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
Advice on teen parties, talking with your teen about substance use, and dealing with the "everybody's doing it" attitude.
- There's a party! Can I go? — English | español (PDF)
- But you and Dad drink... — English | español (PDF)
- It's just one cigarette — English | español (PDF)
- Relax Mom, it's only pot! — English | español (PDF)
- Teens and meth — English
- But everybody's doin' it... — English | español (PDF)
The "how to" of effective communication in different situations.
- Have you talked with your teen today? — English | español (PDF)
- Teens and family meals — English (PDF)
Relationships: Peers and dating
Tips for talking with your teen about sexuality and dating.
- Teens and their peers — English
- But we're in love: Talking to teens about sex — English | español (PDF))
- I've met someone special: Teen dating — English | español (PDF)
Strategies to help you monitor what your teen does on the internet.
- Teens and the internet — English
- LOL, IDK, OMG: Teens and social media platforms — English | español (PDF)
Parents of college students
Seminar for parents: Alcohol use on campus — Department of Family Social Science — Find the information and tools you need to support and empower your student to make a successful transition to college, take on increasing responsibilities, and gain the most from their college years.
Seminar for parents: College finance — Department of Family Social Science — Get a realistic picture of the issues and challenges college students and their families face around finances.
Common stresses for parents of teens — Iowa State University Extension — Find ways to manage new conflicts and stressors that develop as the parent-child relationship changes during the teen years. Part of the Stress: Taking Charge series.
Families: School success — Get resources that will help you support your children's learning, make school transitions positive, and build stronger parent-child relationships.