Resources to help parents meet the challenge of raising teens.
On this page
Resources for anyone working with or interested in adolescent development.
Information on bullying, school violence, and more.
- School Violence
- School: Making the Most of It — English | español (202 K PDF)
- Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences — English | español
- What if the next shooting is at my school? — English | español (217 K PDF)
- Winning Isn't Everything — English | español (191 K PDF)
- I Need to Get a Job — English | español
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drugs
Advice on teen parties, talking with your teen about substance use, and dealing with the "everybody's doing it" attitude.
- There's a Party! Can I Go? — English | español (159 K PDF)
- But You and Dad Drink... — English | español (167 K PDF)
- It's Just One Cigarette — English | español (297 K PDF)
- Relax Mom, It's Only Pot! — English | español (154 K PDF)
- Teens and Meth — English
- But Everybody's Doin' It... — English | español (213 K PDF)
The "how to" of effective communication in different situations.
- Have You Talked with Your Teen Today? — English | español (193 K PDF)
- Teens and Family Meals — English (241 K PDF)
Relationships: Peers and Dating
Tips for talking with your teen about sexuality and dating.
- Teens and Their Peers — English
- But We're in Love: Talking to Teens About Sex — English | español (173 K PDF)
- I've Met Someone Special: Teen Dating — English | español (198 K PDF)
Strategies to help you monitor what your teen does on the internet.
- Teens and the Internet — English
- Teens and Social Networking Websites — English | español (411 K PDF)
Parents of College Students
Seminar for Parents: Alcohol Use on Campus — Department of Family Social Science — Find the information and tools you need to support and empower your student to make a successful transition to college, take on increasing responsibilities, and gain the most from their college years.
Seminar for Parents: College Finance — Department of Family Social Science — Get a realistic picture of the issues and challenges college students and their families face around finances.
Helping Youth Succeed: Bicultural Parenting for Southeast Asian Families — Online resources to help parents, teens, and educators understand and address issues related to different Southeast Asian perspectives on parenting.
Common Stresses for Parents of Teens — Iowa State University Extension — Find ways to manage new conflicts and stressors that develop as the parent-child relationship changes during the teen years. Part of the Stress: Taking Charge series.
Families: School Success — Get resources that will help you support your children's learning, make school transitions positive, and build stronger parent-child relationships.