Community members in St. James, MN gather for a sunrise picture and pancake breakfast. Watch the St. James' Community Vitality story here.
What makes us proud of Minnesota's communities today is the result of the decisions and actions of those who made our communities great decades ago.
Now, community leaders and residents are making important choices in light of economic, civic, technological and demographic changes that must be addressed. Will our decisions now make future generations proud?
Extension's Center for Community Vitality is here to help communities in Greater Minnesota make important choices - with programs and applied research projects that engage your community and provide valuable information. The Community Economics team helps communities retain and expand local businesses, know and grow the retail sector, make informed public finance decisions and develop tourism opportunities. The Leadership and Civic Engagement team helps communities encourage local leadership, strengthen social capital, and create successful public forums where better decisions are made. The Tourism Center leads communities to understand whether tourism could become a strategy to diversify a local economy, and offers programs that help make tourism more successful.
Contact us. We're eager to get to know your community.
Not sure where to start?
- Connect with our team. We want to learn more about your community.
- Learn about the programs that help communities address issues.
- Read Vital Connections, a newsletter that helps communities learn, lead and decide.
The Extension Center for Community Vitality makes a difference by engaging Minnesotans to strengthen the social, civic, economic and technological capacity of their communities. We help communities choose their future by:
- Informing the decisions they make.
- Improving the processes they use when they make decisions.
- Enhancing the skills, ability and confidence of the people who lead and decide.
- Increasing the number of people who step up to lead and decide.