About the Program
Cash receipts from the sale of cattle and calves in Minnesota amounted to over $ 2.5 billion annually (1999 to 2001), and accounted for 11.3 % of all agricultural receipts. Minnesota’s beef producers are facing unique challenges to adapt and position themselves in today’s market.
The industry is in the midst of major structural changes to provide a more consistent and palatable beef product for the consumer, while at the same time provide management strategies that will capture value and align these products with emerging issues.
The U of M Beef Team serves as a leader in addressing these challenges and strengthening the base of our rural communities.
- Minnesota Beef Producers
- Minnesota State and Local Cattlemen's Associations
- Industry representatives
- Service Minnesota beef stakeholders and consumers via a beef education and information center
- Develop and implement economic and management strategies to enhance sustainability of beef farms
- Create value-added opportunities for Minnesota cattle
- Enhance and sustain visibility between the Minnesota beef industry and the University of Minnesota
- Develop and maintain the Minnesota Beef Industry Center webpage as a “one-stop shop” for industry information, hot topics, current events and contacts that relate to issues surrounding the beef industry
- Participate in multi-state, multi-region or national extension programs
- MN Cattlemen's Association
- MN Beef Council
- National Cattlemen's Association
- Beef Improvement Federation
- Minnesota Beef Expo
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture