Poultry Disease Planning Tool
When disaster strikes, the time to prepare has passed
The Poultry Disease Planning Tool is a web-based management tool that helps Minnesota poultry producers prepare for and reduce the impact of a disease outbreak. The tool was developed at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine by Clara Brandt and Dr. Carol Cardona with funds from the U.S. Poultry and Egg Association.
The website allows users to:
- Make an individual profile
- Record and organize information about their premises
- Learn what to expect, and how to prepare for a disease outbreak
- Be involved in the disease response process
Producers provide their specific information to populate documents within the tool (e.g. submission form, contact sheet, First Contact Questionnaire).
During an outbreak, approved Minnesota Board of Animal Health officials will need to access the First Contact Questionnaire. Having this form completed and available in advance will decrease the amount of time needed to collect information before depopulation can take place.
What are some unique functionalities of the planning tool?
Ability to request or verify Minnesota or National Premises ID
- Verification of farm GPS coordinates
- Built-in, easy submission form
Access to the property map
- Identify key farm components on aerial view of farm
- Record poultry
Access to the Disposal Calculation Tool
- Input number of birds and average weight
- Calculates materials and space needed for disposal options
How to register:
- Create an account using an e-mail address and password.
- Enter information about the poultry operation.
- Alert and Self Quarantine
- Recognize the essential operations to prevent infection
- Keep disease from spreading if birds do become infected
- Access submission forms, laboratory information, and sampling instructions
- Collect all needed information before filling out the appropriate forms to speed up the process
- Understand available depopulation methods and preparation actions
- Learn about different disposal methods, preparation actions and what supplies and materials will be needed
- Follow the essential steps of cleaning and disinfecting
Watch this video for a guided introduction to the online tool.